Membership in the American School of Classical Studies normally includes the privilege of 24-hour access to The Blegen Library.
Library staff will normally be available to provide assistance 8:30 - 19:00, Monday through Friday.
New visitors’ cards are issued on Monday and Friday 9:00-10:00 and Monday and Thursday 14:30-15:30. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of the hour in order to allow time for a tour of the library. Visitors’ cards are renewed October 1st of each year, with proof of current eligibility (see below).
Please note that all visitors (with the exception of members of the British School at Athens) must bring with them two passport-sized photographs in order to be issued a visitor’s card, and must bring with them proof of current eligibility to use the library. Members of the British School will be admitted with their BSA cards or museum passes. Please contact us or call the American School (+30 213 000 2400) with any questions.
Visitor’s cards can be obtained by persons fulfilling any of the following requirements:
- Persons doing post-graduate studies in a department of classics, archaeology, or art history with a specific project directly dealing with classical antiquity. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor, giving the subject of the project.
- Persons having completed a master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation directly dealing with classical antiquity, from a department of classics, archaeology, or art history. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor giving the subject of the thesis or dissertation, or a copy of the diploma.
- Members of the Archaeological Service and Ministry of Culture. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the Archaeological Service or Ministry.
- University professors of classics, archaeology, or ancient art. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the university.
- Members of foreign archaeological schools. Requirements: membership card or museum pass indicating membership.