The Blegen Library is a non-circulating library. No book may leave the library.
Members and visitors all abide by the same general rules, with the exception that members have unlimited access to the library and occupy assigned seats in the library. Visitors may use the library during open hours.
INFORMATION FOR VISITORS
Visitors hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-21:00 ; Saturday 9:00-14:30 . Shortened summer hours are usually in effect in August. The library staff will normally be available to provide assistance from 8:30-18:00 Monday through Friday.
Library cards: Long-term readers are issued blue cards and short-term readers are issued pink cards. All visitors, with the exception of members of the British School at Athens, must submit 2 small recent photographs of themselves and some proof of their eligibility to use the library (members of the BSA may use their BSA cards to enter the library). New visitors cards are issued on Mondays and Fridays from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. and on Mondays and Thursdays from 14:30-15:30. Blue cards are renewed October 1st of every year; renewal cards are issued for three years. Proof of current eligibility should be presented when renewing cards. Members receive a special identification card from the American School.
Sign-in: Visitors are required to register in the visitors book upon entry and exit.
Visitors may not use the Computer Room, even if accompanied by a member.
RULES FOR MEMBERS AND VISITORS
- Do not bring any of the following items into the library: handbags, briefcases, plastic bags, computer cases, food or drink of any kind except water.
- Lockers are available for temporary storage of these items at Reception. Please use a locker only during the time you are actually in the buildings, and return the key when you leave. Readers must present their papers and bags to the receptionist for search when leaving the library.
- Mobile phones must be in silent mode and must not be used for conversations anywhere in the library. Violators may have their library cards revoked.
- Laptop computers may be used throughout the library.
- Smoking, food, and drinking (except for water bottles) are not allowed anywhere in the library.
- Please avoid talking in the library.
- Signing out books to tables and carrels: No book should ever be removed from a shelf unless a sign-out card is completely and legibly filled out and put in place of the book. Sign-out cards are available at the ends of the stacks. Cards already on the shelves must not be removed from their places. Failure to check out books properly may result in forfeiture of library privileges.
- Members may sign out up to 20 books at a time to a carrel or table. Books may be checked out from a members carrel for up to a day by placing a sign-out card in place of the book. Please return the book to the carrel the same day.
- There are visitors tables on each floor of the library. All are clearly marked with pink signs; visitors should use only these tables. Anyone using these tables (visitors or members) must reshelve their books before leaving the library.
- Books from the New Books Shelves and Reference Tables, and unbound periodicals (fascicles) should be consulted at the tables on the ground floor of the New Extension and not taken to other parts of the library.
- For access to the Rare Book Room please see the receptionist.
- Photocopying/Scanning is limited to 150 copies per month per person for visitors and members. Cards valid for 50 or 100 copies can be purchased from the receptionist. Certain materials may not be photocopied (maps, fold-outs, oversize books, damaged or brittle books): please observe the restrictions posted by the photocopier. If you are not sure whether a certain book can be photocopied, please consult the library staff. Books may be scanned to a USB key or directly to a printer. Visitors should complete photocopying/scanning 15 minutes before closing time to allow time to reshelve the books.
- Vandalism of library books will result in loss of library privileges. Underlining and writing notes in books in pen, pencil, or highlighter is absolutely forbidden. Please do not use adhesive post-it notes to mark pages because they can tear pages or lift the print. Do not leave one open book stacked upon another. Books checked out to carrels and tables should be supported by bookends to protect the bindings and the text. Please keep windows and curtains closed to protect the books.
- Your cooperation in abiding by these rules is essential to the smooth opration of the Blegen Library.
Please do not hesitate to ask the library staff for assistance of any kind.