Membership in the American School of Classical Studies normally includes the privilege of 24-hour access to The Blegen Library.
[No new cards are issued during the month of August and no orientations take place]
New visitors’ cards are issued:
Monday and Friday (9:00-10:00)
Monday and Thursday (14:30-15:30).
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of the hour in order to allow time for a tour of the library.
New visitors must submit 1 small recent photograph of themselves and some proof of their eligibility to use the library (see below) in order to be issued a visitor's card. Please note that, as an exception, members of the British School at Athens may use their BSA cards as reference to enter the library. However, they still need to submit one photo and attend the orientation days as mentioned above.
Please contact us at (+30 213 000 2400) or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Visitor’s cards can be obtained by persons fulfilling any of the following requirements:
- Persons doing post-graduate studies in a department of classics, archaeology, or art history with a specific project directly dealing with classical antiquity. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor, giving the subject of the project.
- Persons having completed a master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation directly dealing with classical antiquity, from a department of classics, archaeology, or art history. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor giving the subject of the thesis or dissertation, or a copy of the diploma.
- Members of the Archaeological Service and Ministry of Culture. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the Archaeological Service or Ministry.
- University professors of classics, archaeology, or ancient art. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the university.
- Members of foreign archaeological schools. Requirements: membership card or museum pass indicating membership.
Visitors’ cards are renewed October 1st of each year, with proof of current eligibility.