Membership in the American School of Classical Studies normally includes the privilege of 24-hour access to The Blegen Library.
[No new cards are issued during the month of August and no orientations take place]
New visitors’ cards are issued:
Monday and Friday (9:00-10:00)
Monday and Thursday (14:30-15:30).
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of the hour in order to allow time for a tour of the library.
New visitors must submit 2 small recent photographs of themselves and some proof of their eligibility to use the library (see below) in order to be issued a visitor's card. Please note that, as an exception, members of the British School at Athens may use their BSA cards to enter the library.
Please contact us at (+30 213 000 2400) or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Visitor’s cards can be obtained by persons fulfilling any of the following requirements:
- Persons doing post-graduate studies in a department of classics, archaeology, or art history with a specific project directly dealing with classical antiquity. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor, giving the subject of the project.
- Persons having completed a master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation directly dealing with classical antiquity, from a department of classics, archaeology, or art history. Requirements: letter of introduction from an associate or full professor giving the subject of the thesis or dissertation, or a copy of the diploma.
- Members of the Archaeological Service and Ministry of Culture. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the Archaeological Service or Ministry.
- University professors of classics, archaeology, or ancient art. Requirements: Identity card or certification indicating affiliation with the university.
- Members of foreign archaeological schools. Requirements: membership card or museum pass indicating membership.
Visitors’ cards are renewed October 1st of each year, with proof of current eligibility.