The School is sad to report that Rebecca Cooper Wood Robinson passed away on December 7, 2009 at Medford Leas Retirement Community in Medford, NJ. She was the wife of Henry S. Robinson, Director of the School and Director of the Corinth Excavations from 1959-1969, who passed away in 2003.
Born in Moorestown, New Jersey in 1924, Rebecca C. Robinson earned her A.B. (cum laude) in Archaeology from Bryn Mawr College in 1945, M.A. in 1950. She was a School Member in 1950-51 (Ella Riegel Fellow of Bryn Mawr College) when she worked at the Agora excavations during the spring and at the University of Pennsylvania excavations at Gordion that summer. She was a Special School Fellow in 1951-1952, when Henry S. Robinson was a Fulbright Research Scholar at the School. In December 1953, she married Henry and lived in Oklahoma until 1958. The Robinsons and their three children returned to the School in 1958. During the years when Henry was Director of the School, she presented lectures and teaching sessions for the students and spent summers at the Corinth Excavations. She returned to the School from 1978 to 1979 as a Senior Associate Member. Robinson published “Tobacco Pipes of Corinth and of the Athenian Agora” in Hesperia, 1985.
The Robinson family has received the news about the recently-inaugurated Henry S. Robinson Research Fellowship and expressed great appreciation.