Located in the heart of modern Athens and attracting more than half a million international visitors annually, the Agora was in ancient times the business, political, and legal center of Athens, bringing together citizens and foreigners, litigants and jurors, and merchants and philosophers. The School has been excavating at the Agora since 1931, and has brought to light a rich and splendid history of continuous habitation that extends over more than 5,000 years. The major public buildings of ancient Athens are now displayed in a thoughtfully landscaped archaeological park with all of the excavated artifacts and excavation records housed in the restored Stoa of Attalos. These finds have significantly expanded our knowledge of ancient Athenian life and culture, notably the origins and practice of democracy. Each summer, the Agora trains more than 60 students from American colleges and universities in modern archaeological techniques.