The American School of Classical Studies at Athens (ASCSA) invites applications for the position of Cataloging Librarian at the Gennadius Library in Athens. The American School of Classical Studies at Athens (ASCSA) is one of the world's leading research and teaching institutions dedicated to the advanced study of all aspects of Greek culture, from antiquity to the present day. Founded in 1881 as a private non-profit organization, the ASCSA provides graduate students and scholars from over 180 affiliated North American colleges and universities a base for research and study in Greece. The ASCSA operates two major research libraries in Athens (the Blegen Library and the Gennadius Library), supports archaeological research and excavations in the Ancient Agora of Athens, in Corinth, and elsewhere in Greece, and disseminates information about its research through an active publications program.
Opened in 1926 with the 26,000-volume collection of diplomat and bibliophile Joannes Gennadius, the Gennadius Library houses today 145,000 titles of rare books and bindings, research materials, manuscripts, archives, and works of art that illuminate Hellenism, Greece, and neighboring civilizations from the end of antiquity to modern times. The 90,000 research titles are classified in the Library of Congress classification system, whereas the Rare Books and Special Collections retain the original local classification system. The library serves a large number of local scholars as well as international library users, including a constituency of North American students and scholars affiliated with the American School.
Key responsibilities of the Cataloging Librarian of the Gennadius Library are as follows:
- Performs original descriptive and subject cataloging of scholarly monographs and online resources in a variety of languages, applying current international bibliographic standards
- Performs or oversees the copy cataloging of materials for which bibliographic records are supplied by a vendor or utility
- Works closely with colleagues in three libraries sharing a union catalog to maintain the database and to create and control authorities
- Provides research assistance to members of the American School of Classical Studies and visiting researchers who are library users
- Keeps abreast of developments and new technologies for resource discovery and makes recommendations as appropriate to the Senior Librarian
- MLS or equivalent; degree in the Humanities (classics, history, literature or archaeology) desirable
- Expertise in one of the disciplines of the Gennadius' collection (classics, Greek history, history of archaeology, arts of the book, history of art, literature)
- Appropriate experience in an academic research library highly desirable
- Familiarity with special collections Libraries and rare books
- Fluency in English and Modern Greek and basic knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin as well as the languages of scholarly research (German, French, ltalian, etc.)
- Familiarity with international bibliographic standards such as AACR2 and MARC21
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification system
- Demonstrated skills and experience in relevant information technology, including its use and management, and a comprehensive understanding of the technology driven information environment; experience with the Ex Libris' ALEPH integrated library system is highly desirable
- Understanding of the unique needs of a graduate research library and familiarity with current issues in academic librarianship
- Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
The position is full-time. Salary commensurate with experience. Successful candidate will be expected to live and work in Athens, Greece.
Email a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, and three letters of reference to Maria Georgopoulou, Director of the Gennadius Library at American School of Classical Studies at Athens, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on July 16, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. ASCSA is an EO/AA employer.