by Gorham P. Stevens
700 pp, 236 figs, 54 oversize (15 x 21) pls
9" x 12"
Cloth, ISBN: 978-0-87661-906-3
Publication Date: Nov 1927
Status: Out of Print
After providing a general description of the 5th-century B.C. temple, situated on the north side of Acropolis, the authors discuss the construction of the building, the sculptures (including the famous caryatids), and the inscriptions. A concluding historical section follows the temple through its later reuse as a Christian church and Turkish house. The book is accompanied by a portfolio of 54 architectural drawings of the building.
“Students of archaeology and especially of Greek art and architecture have waited long for this volume but it was well worth waiting for. The twenty-four years of study given to the Erechtheum by officers and students of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens have produced a work which has antiquated all previous treatises and will long remain the standard and most scholarly book on one of the most famous Ionic temples of antiquity, next to the Parthenon the best known building erected on the Athenian acropolis.” David M. Robinson, The Art Bulletin, 11:1 (March 1929), pp. 115-116.