Manuscripts and communications should be addressed to:
6-8 Charlton Street
Princeton, NJ 08540-5232
Tel: +1 609-454-6822
Manuscripts for submission should be sent to the Editor at the address above. For review purposes, please submit the following:
- A single PDF with all the elements of the manuscript (abstract, text, notes, references, figure captions, and figures). Be sure to use footnotes, not endnotes; number all pages consecutively; and label each figure with its figure number or figure number and caption. Abstracts should be 115 words or less.
- A Word document file that contains only the abstract.
- A completed and signed Checklist for Initial Manuscript Submission (found below).
- A cover letter that specifies (1) the authors of the submitted manuscript and their affiliations and contact information; (2) the names of any other scholars who have read the manuscript.
- A recommendation from your field director (if the manuscript is a primary report on material from excavations that are being published for the first time).
To the extent possible, manuscripts should be prepared in such a way as to maintain the anonymity of the author. Although we do not insist that authors conform to our house style when initially submitting their manuscripts for review, you may find our Author Guidelines useful (available below). Please do not submit original artwork or individual digital figure files at this stage.
Articles longer than 76 (published) pages will generally not be considered. To estimate the published length of a manuscript, assume ca. 600 words per printed Hesperia page and then add pages as needed for illustrations.
Copies of the manuscript are sent to two outside referees. The review process normally takes three to four months. After the reviews are received, authors are advised of the Editor’s decision to accept, reject, or request changes to the article, and of the substance of the referees’ comments. In the case of conflicting reviews, the Editor will usually solicit a third review, which may add time to the review process.
Authors whose manuscripts have been accepted should download Author Guidelines, the Checklist for Final Submission, and an Art Inventory Form (available below). The Editor will provide a detailed editorial assessment along with the acceptance letter and copies of the referee reports.
Once the necessary revisions have been made, final manuscripts should be submitted to the Editor at the address above. Please include the following:
- A complete digital copy of the manuscript, with a separate Word file for each component of the manuscript (abstract/text/endnotes, caption list, reference list). Any tables should be submitted as individual Word files.
- The final artwork for production, with each file name labeled by figure number.
- Physical printouts of the manuscript and artwork; these must be identical to the digital files.
- A completed Author Warranty.
- A completed and signed Checklist for Final Manuscript Submission.
- A completed Art Inventory form.
- All necessary permissions to reproduce artwork or long text extracts.
- A cover letter detailing the revisions made to the manuscript.
Completed manuscripts must incorporate all requested changes and conform to the Author Guidelines.
Both text and notes should be double-spaced, single-sided, and in a consistent font type (we prefer 12-point Times New Roman for English and KadmosU for Greek). Use endnotes rather than footnotes. Margins of 1 in. (2.5 cm) should be left on all edges of the page.
A manuscript will not be accepted for production until all requested revisions, all illustrations, and all permissions have been received by the Editor. Once the revised manuscript has been approved and accepted, the manuscript will enter the production queue.