Classical Sculpture from the Athenian Agora, Part 4: Concluding Remarks on the Sculptures of the Temple of Ares (Athena Pallenis)
by Andrew Stewart, Erin Lawrence, Rebecca Levitan, and Kelsey Turbeville
Hesperia, Volume 91, Issue 1
Stable URL: https://muse.jhu.edu/article/850807
This article, the last of four, summarizes the results of a decade of work on the sculptures of the Temple of Ares, and supersedes some of the tentative conclusions advanced earlier in the series. It assesses the original Periklean project (especially its possible genesis as a response to the plague of 430-426 B.C.) and the Augustan modifications to it after the temple’s transfer from Pallene to the Agora ca. 15 B.C. A chronological appendix charts the temple’s prehistory from the 8th century B.C. through the Persian sack of 480; its history from ca. 430 through its destruction in late antiquity; and finally its recovery from the Greek excavations of 1891 to thepresent.